I would definitely say that I'm an online shopper. It took me a bit to get comfortable with buying stuff online but now I buy almost everything online from clothes, shoes, makeup to home decor and electronics! I have yet to try online grocery shopping but after hearing how great Amazon Fresh is, I'm seriously considering it! Anyway, American Express recently reached out to me to participate in the Savvy Online Shopper program to educate shoppers on how to best shop online and thought it sounded like a great opportunity, especially since I get to give away to one of you a $250 giftcard! All you have to do is let me know what your biggest online shopping mistake is and you'll be entered!
One of my biggest online shopping mistakes came when I first started buying clothes online (years ago!) and found a pair of Seven for all Mankind jeans that I had spotted at Nordstrom and were dying to get but they were out of my budget. Imagine how excited I was to have found them on an online boutique but for about 50% off the retail price that I had seen at Nordstrom! I put in my order right away and when they arrived, well, I had been seriously duped. The jeans looked the same as in it had all the right labels but when I put them on, something just wasn't right, the fit was off, the color was a bit different and you could just tell there was something just wrong about them. I had no idea back then the prevalence of fake jeans. Sure, I knew of fake designer purses, but jeans? That seemed so weird to me! Well, after that I learned my lesson. I now only shop at reputable online stores that people personally recommend to me or online stores that have actual stores that I can shop at and are reliable. I've also learned that if something seems to good to be true, it most likely is. Luckily during that experience I had used my American Express card which comes with protection benefits for free - I was able to take advantage of the Return Protection and was able to get my money back when the store refused to take the return.
What I have learned is that you can actually find a lot of great deals online (of authentic merchandise) if you really take the time to look for them. I often get greater deals online than I would shopping at the store! Here are the steps that I almost always take before I make my purchase:
- Check out if the store is on Ebates to get cash back - no matter what, even if the cashback amount is small, it's still some money back and I'm always happy to save this way!
- Check Retail Me Not or See Chloe Shop for discounts codes. If I don't find the store listed on either site, I will do a google search of "name of store + Discount Code" or "name of store + free shipping code".
- Some items, I would rather risk waiting for it to go on sale so with those, I end up bookmarking it and continually checking back to see if it's gone on sale or sign up for the store emails to find out when their sales go up.
@styleish in your tweet so I'll see it!) or post on my Facebook page. Once you've done that you will be entered to win $250 worth of giftcards through Membership Rewards. Your choices are giftcards from:
- Saks Fifth Avenue: (denominations: $50, $100, $250)
- Zappos.com: (denominations: $50, $100, $250)
- Neiman Marcus: (denominations: $50, $100, $250)
*Disclosure: Compensation in the form of merchandise was provided by American Express via Ogilivy PR. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of American Express or Ogilivy PR.